3 Tips For Serving Your Ex With Legal Documents

Just like any other lawsuit, family law cases begin with the filing of a complaint. In order for the case to officially begin, you must ensure the other party in your lawsuit receives a copy of the complaint. When the other party is your ex-spouse, getting him or her to accept service can be difficult.

If you are having trouble serving your ex, here are three things you can do to make process service easier and help your case move forward.

1. Change up the location where you are trying to serve your ex-spouse.

If you haven't had any luck serving your ex at home, it may be beneficial to try a new location. While many people can conceal their presence at home, it's more difficult to do so at a place of business without losing one's job.

If you know where you ex works, try serving the complaint at his or her workplace instead of at home. Just be sure that you are able to hand the complaint directly to your ex. Leaving the paperwork with a receptionist or co-worker doesn't count as valid service.

2. Use social media to track down your ex.

When locating your ex is difficult, you aren't able to serve the complaint in a timely manner. Fortunately, you may be able to turn to social media for help finding your ex. According to the Pew Research Center, 30% of people age 18 and older have at least one of their social media accounts set up to include their location each time they post.

By viewing your ex's page, you can discover the places he or she visits on a regular basis. This information will allow you to track down your ex so that you can serve him or her the complaint that will get your lawsuit started.

3. Hire a professional process server.

If you are unable to serve your ex personally, and you don't have time to try and track him or her down, it may be in your best interest to hire a professional process server like In Focus Investigations. These individuals have the ability to serve legal paperwork on your behalf, and they can devote their time to getting your ex served as quickly as possible.

When you don't want to be bothered with the burden of serving your complaint, hiring a professional process server is the way to go.

Before you can reach a resolution in a family law case involving your ex, you must serve him or her the complaint. Attempting to serve your ex at work, using social media to find other locations frequented by your ex where you can attempt service, or hiring a professional process server will help you get your complaint served as quickly as possible.